Round nose gas scale testing

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ken,

I think I read somewhere you were running an ABC 2716 20*

A 2716 10* has more lift than 20* I think?
Yes, the original prop I had was a beat up old 2716 15*. Then I tried a 2716 20* with pointed tips. It was faster but scrubbed off some speed in the corners. This one is a 2716 20* with rounded tips and it seems to spin it up and hold the RPMs a little better all the way thru the corners. And it picked up a couple MPH over the 15*. The next hull I make I'm going to try some sponson mods to release a little more air and help keep the nose down.

Tried out a new prop on the 59 Maverick the other day. Didn't have as much lift as the last one so it took a couple adjustments to keep it on the water but it did well once I got the setup right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6h5oLzacqg
looks great ken.

is that hull 1/6 or 1/6.667 scale ?

what are the L x W dimensions ?

thank you,

dave
Thanks Dave. It's 1/6.667 scale. It's 55 1/2 x 24 1/8. So it fit's the thunderboat class too.

Tried out a new prop on the 59 Maverick the other day. Didn't have as much lift as the last one so it took a couple adjustments to keep it on the water but it did well once I got the setup right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6h5oLzacqg
looks great ken.

is that hull 1/6 or 1/6.667 scale ?

what are the L x W dimensions ?

thank you,

dave
Thanks Dave. It's 1/6.667 scale. It's 55 1/2 x 24 1/8. So it fit's the thunderboat class too.
you have a great looking boat that runs even better.

very well done.

thank you for the dimensions.

it's way too large for me but perfect for the gas scale and t-boat classes.

Dave, it's lighter than any thunderboat hull I've seen, coming in at about 7.5 lbs. It's large but very deceiving when you pick it up. It's about the same RTR weight as my wood Whiplash sport hydro.

Gilbert, I'm running a n old Zenoah 260 bottom end with a full mod 29.5 top end kit from Gizmomotors.

Dave, it's lighter than any thunderboat hull I've seen, coming in at about 7.5 lbs. It's large but very deceiving when you pick it up. It's about the same RTR weight as my wood Whiplash sport hydro.

Gilbert, I'm running a n old Zenoah 260 bottom end with a full mod 29.5 top end kit from Gizmomotors.
Ken, Thanks for the info, I did almost the same with a Zen bottom and a fully modded 29.5 top on my thunder boat, but it did not rise as well as yours!

Ken,

You may want to try a 2717 w/19 degree rake and 38% blade area.

The boat will stay hooked up better. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

I am using a 6717/385 SS propeller.

What is the height between hull bottom and skeg ?

In the process of changing the engine to Quickdraw Pioneer 30.5cc. Will that help ?

image2-1.jpg image1-4.jpg

Ken, Thanks for the info, I did almost the same with a Zen bottom and a fully modded 29.5 top on my thunder boat, but it did not rise as well as yours!
I did a lot of mods to the sponsons and the air trap to reduce the ammount of lift. Most thunderboat hulls have way more lift than you need at higher speeds. We did try a bunch of different props one day and the 2716's seemed to do the best with this motor combo. I do have a 6717 3 blade loaned out that I need to try on this and see what it does.

I am using a 6717/385 SS propeller.

What is the height between hull bottom and skeg ?

In the process of changing the engine to Quickdraw Pioneer 30.5cc. Will that help ?

attachicon.gif
image2-1.jpg
attachicon.gif
image1-4.jpg
Every hull is different so I really have no idea what yours would need with a quickdraw in it. You might find (like I did) that the motor and CG needs to be farther forward. Mine is so light that I have to have more lift from the prop to try to keep the nose down even with the reduced air trap.

Thanks again, Ken, mine is a bit heavier than usual, so have to wait for the test on water.

Back