Generators and power supplies.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffmaturo

If you run a non inverter generator and then plug in a power supply will it clean the power before it gets to whatever you plug into your power supply?

The reason I ask is that Harbor Freight has $99 non inverter generators and I want to be sure I don't screw up my chargers. Thanks!

If you run a non inverter generator and then plug in a power supply will it clean the power before it gets to whatever you plug into your power supply?

The reason I ask is that Harbor Freight has $99 non inverter generators and I want to be sure I don't screw up my chargers. Thanks!
In my experience, no it won't. But for 99 bucks, ask them if it comes with fries
Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

I have 2 of them. I run it through a deep-cycle battery then through inverters to power 110-volt things like a Dremel, fans, chargers or whatever. They're not Honda's but don't have the price tag either. They start easily and are fairly quiet. In a power outage at the house it has enough power to keep the fridge working and a few lights. They advertise about 4 hours run time but mine have gone much longer. I catch them when they're on sale for $88.88.

I went with this similar version for a few more dollars because of the built in Voltmeter. Most of my power supplies for my lipo chargers have a small window of operating voltage input AND my gen seems to randomly stray up or down from a baseline rpm from time to time which either lowers or raises the output voltage past the power supply's happy place. I'll occasionally have to adjust the rpm (awkwardly) with a long screwdriver while monitoring the voltage with the built-in voltmeter.

Starts very easily. Does have 12V output.

Noise pisses off the high-dollar inverter guys - I use a 50 foot extension cord to place it away from pit central.

https://www.amazon.com/PowerPro-56101-Starting-Portable-Generator/dp/B00J261PGQ/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_86_tr_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Z9EHPNM79FJCGCZ35D2X

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=532094#/topics/532094?page=1

It would depend on the quality of the power supply and it's design and just how dirty the 120 power is to begin with.

You see a lot of people using chargers off standard generators so like them you can probably get away with it also.

Those small harbor freight tailgator generators don't put out much but if only charging transmitter and receiver packs at low amperage charge rates you would be fine but if you are planning to charge larger packs where higher end chargers and battery packs with more $$ invested drawing larger currents it may not be wise to use such a small generator source as the voltage may go low as you approach the generators capacity although low voltage and not a pure sine wave are seperate issues.

You could use the generator to run a automotive charger to charge a 12 volt lead acid battery and it would help buffer the dirty power enough so the hobby power supply/charger would not be affected nearly as much. That starts to get to be a bit too much going on though and just buying a quality inverter seems more atractive.

Just read through the link from the above thread . Someone posted this :

The best thing you can do with a harbor freight genny is bring it to a fun fly, (or boating event - my edit) locate someone with a honda 2000, set up next to them and fire up the little noise machine. They will immediately ask you to shut it off and just use their honda. Works like a charm.

This has been my experience plenty of times. (Ask Tyler
default_rolleyes.gif
)

very likely your chargers have switch-mode power supplies (SMPS) which can tolerate pretty much any nasty waveform so long as the voltage level is within tolerance.

Yeah, I had complaints about mine also but it's quieter than the gas boats on the water. It's not like I run it full-time as I have the battery back-up power.

The best thing you can do with a harbor freight genny is bring it to a fun fly, (or boating event - my edit) locate someone with a honda 2000, set up next to them and fire up the little noise machine. They will immediately ask you to shut it off and just use their honda. Works like a charm.

default_rolleyes.gif
)
I read that and thought it was great too. Funny stuff but so true. Put that noisy thing back in the trailer will ya. Lol.

NOW THAT'S FUNNY!!!!!!!!! Too bad it's probably true
default_unsure.png

Anyway, I'd pony up for an inverter and call it good. I know most electronics don't like a non-regulated power supply. Hilton audio equipment is so fussy that it says right in the manual that if a non-inverter generator is used, the warranty is void. I bought a pair of Honda 2000s to power my camp trailer or, as needed, my house in the case of no power. I get 13.5 amps from one and 26 from both tied together. What has come in handy is they can be used to power the wife's work computer and modems so, if we lose power, she can still go to work without having to drive into the closest office, 30+ miles away

Just had a thought. I've never bought anything from Harbor Freight, other than a seldom used bench top drill press, that lasted more than one or two months. Had almost a third of the stuff either break taking it out of the package or trying to use it the first time. On the few occasions I tried to take something back, I was told I abused or misused the item and wasn't eligible to receive a refund so, after getting burned a few times that way, I decided to take my business to other places that actually had customer service

default_rolleyes.gif
)
How true this is Tony. I hope you are doing OK.

Tyler

I know most electronics don't like a non-regulated power supply.
a heck of a lot of modern electronic devices have switched-mode power supplies, which don't really care what you feed them. if the power supply/AC adapter says it can handle 100-240 VAC, 50/60 Hz, then it can probably handle any raggedy-ass noisy waveform you feed it and work just fine.

Hilton audio equipment is so fussy that it says right in the manual that if a non-inverter generator is used, the warranty is void.
that just tells me they still have linear power supplies.

Jim, would you run your computer, flat screen or stereo off a Harbor Freight generator?

With what I've seen of Harbor Freight's quality, I wouldn't

On runryder.com there are several people having no problems with using that gene to run ps. You do need a ps like this that will handle the fluctuations in voltage.

69325836-67E7-4EF9-AC03-68C763CCC097.png

If using a non-inverter style, verify frequency is at 60 Hz. some electronics can not handle more than +/- 5 Hz

Back