Slient Engine (Joe Monohan)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl Van Houten

Supporting Member
Vendor
I just received news that Joe Monohan passed yesterday. This is a shock. He called me just a couple of weeks ago and wanted to know what was happening over this way as he typically did. I talked to Joe at least once a month and sometimes more and have for the past 35 or 40 years. Joe and I went way back. He loved his outboard tunnel classes and had a 3.5cc Outboard Hydro that would just fly. Joe, Richard Hazelwood and Bobby Tom raced and owned this class for many years out there. Joe knew everything there was to know about racing outboards. Sometimes he and I would talk about details of K&B that nobody knew but maybe just a hand full of people. I just received a box of goodies from him just a few weeks ago. Joe was always ready to help you in any way he could and he made quite a few custom parts for me over the years. Joe's 707 Specialties supplied custom and replacement parts for modelers for many years and his contribution to our hobby was huge. You just never know when you are talking to one of your racing buddies for the last time...

He will be missed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hardy to believe that I met him at nats in Las Vegas last year. He was a fine gentleman that he showed me his Hit Hot Rod car.

RIP

Wow that is really sad. I developed a relationship with him over the phone and through emails last year. He was nice enough to make me some custom parts for practically nothing without even knowing who I was. He was extremely kind and generous.

Rest in peace Mr. Monohan.

What sad news hearing of Joe's passing Like Carl said i go back many years with Joe as well, stayed at Joe's house during the n.a.m.b.a. Nats i guess 20 years ago and talked every month on the phone as well. I sure will miss him as i guess

countless others will as well R.I.P Joe I will miss you buddy.

So sad to hear of Joe’s passing, my condolences to Joe’s family
1f614.png

Joe was a big help to Australian RC boaters and would go out of his way to help get us the parts we needed for our boats.
RIP Joe you will be missed.

Joe was truly a legend in model boating. Before Carl's Lynx, Joe had a Dumas Hot Shot 24 that won a lot of 3.5 tunnel races. Joe's NAMBA Hall of Fame status affirms his impact on model boating.

Besides model boats, Joe was a very skilled RC airplane builder/flyer. He also had a passion for hot rod cars. Appreciate every day.

JD

This is truly sad news as has been said, Joe was a big contributor to our hobby for many, many years. I had the opportunity to talk with him and get his advice several times as a customer and fellow hobbyist. Prayers go out to his family and friends.

Wallster

Wow this is a shock. My son just talked to him not too long ago. Our family send our biggest condolences to his family and friends. Me and my son will truly miss him.

Although I didn't know Joe personally I did get t know him when I was the boating forums moderator on RC Universe. He'd always bug me if I forgot to mention his company as a source for K&B engines, parts and accessories all in good fun.

Sorry To Hear The Bad News,

I thought something was wrong a few weeks back.

I had one of Joe's propeller customers call me.

He was a great outboard guy and I sure liked the 707

products that he made.

Rest In Peace Joe

Mark Sholund

Joe loved the Black Tunnel boats with the "Elvira Mistress of Darkness" theme. He had quite a collection of boats and competition sail planes, sea planes and many other custom models like his RC pterodactyl plane that he had collected over his lifetime. He had enough models to fill up a hobby store. One thing is for sure he enjoyed life and loved RC like we all do.

Hi, this is Wennie from Cape Town, South Africa.
I received an e-mail early yesterday afternoon from Carl Van Houten informing me of Joe's passing away and this is very sad news as Joe and I had a special relationship since we 'met' each other via his website in 2013 and he and I shared e-mails as recently as mid Feb this year. I've just looked at my mail history and saw that Joe and I shared over 200 e-mails during the time of our friendship. I'm really heartbroken by the loss of a very good friend.

My wife Elza and I visited Joe at his home in Sugarloaf one morning during our stay in Los Angeles in 2014. I felt privileged to know Joe and he was such a dedicated supplier to me of 7.5 K&B OB parts. I will miss my friend very much.

So sad to hear this. I remember Joe going way back (1980's). Would see him at District 19 races at Legg Lake, San Diego Model Yatch Pond, and elsewhere. He made an on-going effort to promote RC Boating/RC Modeling at local trade shows. Did'nt really know him that well, but he was a noticeably warm and approachable person. If I'm correct, I can remember Joe explaining that he was a machinist/mold-maker for Mattel Toy's. He was a cool dude, and will be missed............

So sad to hear this. I remember Joe going way back (1980's). Would see him at District 19 races at Legg Lake, San Diego Model Yatch Pond, and elsewhere. He made an on-going effort to promote RC Boating/RC Modeling at local trade shows. Did'nt really know him that well, but he was a noticeably warm and approachable person. If I'm correct, I can remember Joe explaining that he was a machinist/mold-maker for Mattel Toy's. He was a cool dude, and will be missed............
That is correct he did work for Mattel Toy's. Joe was quite the machinist and he was self taught too. He enjoyed learning and never got tired of making parts for all of us and racing outboards. He sent Ron Shaw a text message after his first heat attack and from his hospital bed on June the 15th apologizing for getting behind on Ron's orders for his stinger silencers. He was a trooper for sure.

I first met Joe when he came up to Oregon to race tunnels with our young club. After that I attended many NAMBA Nationals with him and became a friend. I still have a 707 crying towel he gave me to use on the many occasions he beat me racing tunnels. I'm afraid I'll need it now to morn his passing.

Joe at the 2004 NAMBA Nationals

P1010063.JPG

Still a winner at the 2011 NAMBA Nationals

4.JPG

Lohring Miller

P1010063.JPG

4.JPG

Back