Battery pack

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronnie Lerew

Someone gave me a PHY Power Pack T2600 USB rechargeable external Battery (used for a cell phone) 2600 mah 5V 1 amp. I'm looking at this thing and thinking how nice it would fit in my JAE 12 rigger as a power supply. It's lite and small. Lithium-ion The servo & rec. run off of 4.8V or 6V would this 5V supply work in this little rigger?

That pack is Lith-Ion most likely actually a 3.8 volt single cell.

Single cells don't make 5 volt so a electronic circuit is stepping it to 5 volt. That is why and how the 2600 3.8 volt battery is supplying 5 volt and only good for 1 amp load.

Other wise if it was a 2600 battery running at it's own pack voltage it would probably provide for a lot more amp load than 1 amp.

Since it is stepping up the voltage and the losses in electronics it would probably provide much less than the 2600 the battery has.

It is something you would have to try and keep it dry.

You might want to test the rudder strength before and after to make sure the load doesn't dump the voltage. If it is still good and strong after giving it some good resistance with your new pack for a while it might work. I would almost stall it a few times to be sure the electronics aren't load protected. You would not want it shutting down in a hard turn.

The limited current output may be a problem or not. You can also run one lead through a ammeter and see the amperage you are using. Most ammeters can read a DC amp load up to 10 amps by installing in series with battery.

I think you will find it is best used for what it was designed for and smarter to use small Life receiver pack because it's voltage and amp ratings are much better suited for r/c power source.

I think you would also be much safer running a small LiFe pack. The least you put between the battery and the receiver/servo's the more dependable your power delivery will be.

I weighed a Lith-Ion 1700 single cell 3.8 volt cell phone battery just now and it was 1 oz so a 2600 backup supply must be getting about the same weight of a the 800 LiFe. The little 800 LiFe packs only weigh 1.4 oz.

The 800 LiFe packs have 6.6 volt for good strong servo and the voltage will not drop under load or from 90% - 10% capacity hardly losses .02 volt. They can deliver 5 amps constant and surges to 10 amp safely

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back