spectrum vs futaba and wich one do u perfer and why

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James montgomery

so i have the new dx4c and the new dsmr recever in three of my boats, i dont have the marine recevers in my boats and have not had any problem with the so y would i need to buy thr marine recevers.....now did i make a mistake on buying a spektrum and should have bought a futaba in stead they dont need a marine reciver to work.....but i havent need on fory spekktrum ether yet...knock on wood...lol.....so what do u guys use and y do u like it

"Spektrum Radio Help" thread that goes over much of the same pros cons.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Spektrum Radio Help" thread that goes over much of the same pros cons.
You need to buy the marine spectrum receivers, otherwise your asking for trouble, as the fly receivers cannot pick up a signal on the water all the time.

Walt Barney

Walt's Hobbies

Tanks 2 U

I have to agree with Walt on this one. In a nutshell, the 2.4 GHz transmitter's signal can be reflected off the water, affecting the receiver's ability to pick it up. The marine receivers have changes manufactured into them that compensate for this signal reflection that greatly improved reliability and the receiver's ability to pick up the transmitter's signal.

As for what I use, it's a Futaba 4PLS. I bought it for the telemetry feature, better "bang for the buck", FHSS transmission system and how well it fit my hands. I was given an Airtronics M8, didn't like the feel of the transmitter due to the way the case and controls were designed.

so even with the new dsmr recivers i should still consider buying two new 80 dollor 3channel reciver......just to be safe....lol.....

so even with the new dsmr recivers i should still consider buying two new 80 dollor 3channel reciver......just to be safe....lol.....
I wouldn't run a boat without having the marine receiver if you want to stay with the transmitter you already have. $80 is cheap insurance as compared to the cost of replacing the whole boat. If you would rather spend the cash on a new system, ANY OF THE FUTABA 2.4 SYSTEMS WILL WORK. Both the FASST and FHSS systems use the same basic operating system, FASST versions just have a few more bells and whistles and, therefore, cost more money.

Still running 75 MGhZ 3 PK 's ...no issues .
default_biggrin.png

My thing is why do you have to buy a different reciever if it is so good your paying so much for it, i bough a Futaba and i hated them for years great radio you get the right reciever and never had problems

FUTABA - Because I have been controling my models with Futaba since 1972. No system related failures, EVER! Only user caused failures.

I'm with Foley - 75mhz FM here, also. I never switched to 2.4, cuz everyone else did & opened FM back up. Haven't had a frequency conflict in years, no matter what race I go to. I use synthesized JR xs3's; like Andy, the only issues I have had have been self inflicted!

lol....thanks guys ill buy a couple marine reciver dont want to crash to new boats i built.....better to be safe instead of crashing almost 700 in new boats...

but another ? wouldnt the reciver go in to failsafe mode if signals lost from the tx tho or would she runn wot?

In theory, yes, it should go into FS mode. What your radio does, when it goes into FS, depends on what you program it to do.

The problem is the signal may not really be lost so FS MAY NOT activate. What happens(in some cases) is the signal is distorted, causing the receiver to try and figure out what it's being told. This prevents the receiver's sending a movement command or, worse yet, sending a wrong command to the servo. At the speeds our boats are running, that receiver's failure to react as wanted or going into FS mode (if the signal is actually lost) is enough to put a boat into the beach or, worse yet, into another boat. Since our boats can be moving as fast, if not faster than a car on the freeway, at racing speeds, you can figure (at 60MPH) your boat will be moving 88ft/second. In that one second, even if the radio goes into FS, you could be looking at hitting the bank/beach at speeds fast enough to destroy the boat or injure someone not paying attension

lol....thanks guys ill buy a couple marine reciver dont want to crash to new boats i built.....better to be safe instead of crashing almost 700 in new boats...

but another ? wouldnt the reciver go in to failsafe mode if signals lost from the tx tho or would she runn wot?
Don't take this the wrong way but there is no way I would ever. Ever. Ever. Did I say ever ? EVER trust anything that spectrum has

I have seen car guys have problems. Boat guys have problems. Not a chance

I just plunked down 800 bucks for the new 4px

Was it spendy damb right. But I don't want to do something half a$$ed and for all the hard work and time put into these pcs of plywood and fiberglass why would anyone trust something that is KNOWN TO HAVE ISSUES ?

Look at it this way. If futaba can be the supplier for radio controlled devices for the government. I would guess our stuff is going to be just fine

But what does a washed up has been know[emoji12]

Latest posts

Back