2016 IMPBA Gas Nats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, that's something. This past year they were worried about the race at Carey Lake not getting enough entries and they were overwhelmed by the amount they got!

Last year the host club was worried if anyone would want to show up in NY for a gas boat race. They were greatly surprised to see how fast the entries came in. That event was sold out in no time!

Last year the host club was worried if anyone would want to show up in NY for a gas boat race. They were greatly surprised to see how fast the entries came in. That event was sold out in no time!
I wasn't worried.

Why not put a entry cap per racer for the Gas Nats? This would give a chance for those that have a bad internet connection. There are 8 racers with 6 or more entries. Who has the time to race six boats? Share the wealth, oh geeze, I'm sounding like a Liberal.... lol

Craig,

I happen to agree with you on that point!!! Why don't hosting clubs limit the number of classes being entered by one individual?? I understand if you can afford to run all them classes more power to ya. But for the guy that only has one boat to find out he is bumped out because this guy running 6 classes has filled the spot well you are just SOL!!! I'd say limit it to three classes per entry and everyone have time to relax and enjoy the event!!

Later!!

Pat

Randy Rapedius brought that up on Facebook this morning. If you have to run consecutive heats that really makes a racer very busy. Add to that if your pit person is also racing.

Randy Rapedius brought that up on Facebook this morning. If you have to run consecutive heats that really makes a racer very busy. Add to that if your pit person is also racing.
My point was that a host club could set a limit per racer so to allow others to attend. It had nothing to do with a racer being overly busy. I felt guilty entering 5 classes until a saw some with 8 or 9 classes.
Another option could be to add an extra day of racing and up the maximum number of entries for the event.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't worried.

I don't remember anyone in our club being nervous about no one showing up for the gas nats. It was a nice surprise when it sold out as quick as it did. 2016 should be fun

Wow! We were hoping to enter this race!

It's already filled up! Or is it? Are all entries paid?

These large races that draw large entry numbers that do not require immediate paypal payment only, are always problematic.

Months from now some racers that did not pay upfront will drop out, leaving many classes only partially full.

A waiting list is not a good solution, because racers need to plan in advance for these races.

Some clubs have solved this problem by using paypal only. Mail in payment can be used also, but the entry does not get posted/confirmed until the payment is received.

It's the IMPBA Nats. Anybody that wants to enter should be allowed to enter. If you want to limit the amount of boats maybe you could have a must pay by date and a must enter by date. When those dates expire you could trim the field by eliminating some of the multiple entries. Give the person a choice of which boats he wants to eliminate. Their has to be some way to accommodate everyone who wants to enter.

Bill Wachtler

There is no PERFECT system for registration. You can't please everyone. Some will say registration was too early, some say pay up front, some say limit entries, some say let there be no cut off amount. I think its up to the host club to do what THEY believe is best. If you don't like it or disagree then perhaps your club can host next years event and make changes. The current system worked last year for Rochester NY and for the 74 racers who remembered to registered for this years Gas Nats in Sellersburg IN, it appears it worked for them with no complaints.

For those who forgot to register, I'd suggest getting your name on Rocky's ''Wait List''. Like already mentioned, nothing is SOLD OUT until it comes time to pay.

36 Thunderboats
default_ohmy.png
and they said the class would never catch on. LMAO
default_laugh.png

There is no PERFECT system for registration. You can't please everyone. Some will say registration was too early, some say pay up front, some say limit entries, some say let there be no cut off amount. I think its up to the host club to do what THEY believe is best. If you don't like it or disagree then perhaps your club can host next years event and make changes. The current system worked last year for Rochester NY and for the 74 racers who remembered to registered for this years Gas Nats in Sellersburg IN, it appears it worked for them with no complaints.

For those who forgot to register, I'd suggest getting your name on Rocky's ''Wait List''. Like already mentioned, nothing is SOLD OUT until it comes time to pay.
Well said. Only thing I've read so far is a bunch of complaining.

As previously posted you can't please everyone, however in my opinion I do think things could and should have been done a little differently.

First- opening registration on a major holiday weekend was unfair to boaters who may have been traveling, entertaining, with family or whatever. Many folks don't have the luxury of being able to sit in front of a computer whenever it suits them let alone on a holiday weekend.

Second- I have never agreed with opening registration for a big race so far in advance and as a few have already mentioned there will be many cancellations since up front payment was not required. And the answer of get on the waiting list and see what happens is not much of a help honestly. How long are these people supposed to wait for an answer if they can get in? There are lots of boaters who just can't up and take off whenever they please.

Third- I've always felt that races of this magnitude should have a max entry per per person (4 would have been my recommendation), by allowing people to enter 8 or 9 boats smart money says some (or many) of those will be ones you'll be holding up the event waiting on them because they are back to back repeatedly, seen that more times than I care to thing about and it is always a momentum killer as far as running a race efficiently.

I truly hope this event is a huge success for the host club but I see a few potential headaches between now and then especially with cancellations and chasing down payment for entry fees.

I'm pretty sure Rocky will soon post payment must be made in thirty days or you will be removed. This is his first major event and a huge learning courve

As previously posted you can't please everyone, however in my opinion I do think things could and should have been done a little differently.

First- opening registration on a major holiday weekend was unfair to boaters who may have been traveling, entertaining, with family or whatever. Many folks don't have the luxury of being able to sit in front of a computer whenever it suits them let alone on a holiday weekend.

Second- I have never agreed with opening registration for a big race so far in advance and as a few have already mentioned there will be many cancellations since up front payment was not required. And the answer of get on the waiting list and see what happens is not much of a help honestly. How long are these people supposed to wait for an answer if they can get in? There are lots of boaters who just can't up and take off whenever they please.

Third- I've always felt that races of this magnitude should have a max entry per per person (4 would have been my recommendation), by allowing people to enter 8 or 9 boats smart money says some (or many) of those will be ones you'll be holding up the event waiting on them because they are back to back repeatedly, seen that more times than I care to thing about and it is always a momentum killer as far as running a race efficiently.

I truly hope this event is a huge success for the host club but I see a few potential headaches between now and then especially with cancellations and chasing down payment for entry fees.
Don,

Who cares what weekend you open entries. In today's world anyone can jump on the internet in a instance. I registered from my phone while I was not even home. The entry date was set way back, put a reminder in your cell phone if you worried you going to miss it. Last year I had someone complain to me about they were out snowmobiling and they missed the registration and it was not right of me to not let them enter. GIVE ME A BREAK

6 months in advance to a race is not that far in advance. Its nice to know for the host club what they have to plan for. You still had to be paid by March 31st before the club re opened registration. This way the people on the waiting list still would have had ample time to take time off and book hotels.

Maybe the host club needed some of the funds to make site improvements to the site. You can plan on t shirts and trophies in advance and not be a last minute thing. Having people enter this far in advance is a great way to get a head start on planning a big event like this. Griping about what the host club does is a joke. They are the ones hosting it. If certain people dont like the way things were done then host it your self next year and do what you seem fit. You will still get the same complaints or they will find something else to ***** about. People need to get over it and move on. This is the second year in a row where this event has sold out in 2 hours. Maybe next year people will finally catch on. END RANT

=

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not put a entry cap per racer for the Gas Nats? This would give a chance for those that have a bad internet connection. There are 8 racers with 6 or more

entries. Who has the time to race six boats? Share the wealth, oh geeze, I'm sounding like a Liberal.... lol
I totally agree. it's hard for anyone that is just getting into the hobby. I understand people want to race multiple boats. but really, this is a hobby.

Back