Fuel Filter question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwb2620

Ok, can you use any type of fuel filter for nitro fuel? if not, what is the best type of filter for nitro. This filter will be used to filter from the container to the tank in the boat.

Thanks in advance,

David

I put one of these on the p/u in my fuel can: http://sullivanproducts.com/product/filter-fuel-sup-to-tank-ct-p/

I don't run a filter on the line to the carb but put one of these on the pressure line: http://sullivanproducts.com/product/s187-tanktoenginefuelfilter/

Flakes of carbon from the pipe can find it's way into the tank and cause you fits.
default_wacko.png

I always use a filter between tank and carb as well as in the fuel jug .Check the filter after each heat and backflush with a quick shot of brake clean . JMHO

Some are directional like the Dubro ones (I use the large size silver ones for 46 and up). You want the fuel to flow to the bowl shaped side. No way to really know what is the bowl side until you take it apart. I use a Dremel wheel to make a mark on the bowl side. I use filters on the fuel pump and the line from the sump to the needle.

I always use a filter between tank and carb as well as in the fuel jug .Check the filter after each heat and backflush with a quick shot of brake clean . JMHO
Good info and I always use my Boriz meter thru the fuel filter then needle. If there's a drastic change, filters dirty.
default_cool.png

Two filters from fuel jug to boat tank

Large DUBRO silver filter from boat tank to needle AND large DUBRO silver from needle to carb(small surge tank, always fuel available).

Good info and I always use my Boriz meter thru the fuel filter then needle. If there's a drastic change, filters dirty.
default_cool.png
After many runs, at the recent SAW trials here, my 46 outboard seemed to be starving at the top end...not lean though. On the boris it flowed fine. took it apart and found alot of 'stuff' in there... so lesson is that the Boris doesn't show volume of fuel being let through
default_rolleyes.gif

I like the dubro coloured filters, drilled out to about 2.5mm for 46 and up

Filter on the pickup in the fuel jug also (my filter clogged up as I used someone elses bottle without the filter inside)

If you are using fuel with Castor in it.. a mesh filter is a must...

Regardless I am with the rest.. filters on the jug clunk and from tank to motor.

Grim

The mesh filters work very well for nitro. It also needs to be easily cleaned. Here Is a pic of the one made by Novarossi that I sell a lot of to customers. The price is great for an aluminum nitro fuel filter. I have also included the link as well. Thanks.

https://www.novarossi.us/collections/fuel-accessories

57B7F6D9-D6D8-4089-9D06-D57D62FA400F.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The mesh filters work very well for nitro. It also needs to be easily cleaned. Here Is a pic of the one made by Novarossi that I sell a lot of to customers. The price is great for an aluminum nitro fuel filter. I have also included the link as well. Thanks.

Fuel cooler? Whats the story with that Ron?

I see it mentions limits evaporation, any practical use on our boats?

Nope.. in RC cars.. 1/8 scale on road for the most part.. is where you would use it.

When I was racing 1/8 Scale on road cars I had 18" of pressure line.. with a filter.. the reason was that it took up the volume of the lid on the filler top lid.. If the pit man over filled the tank and let go of the lid.. the fuel would not make the pipe.

Grim

Fuel cooler? Whats the story with that Ron?I see it mentions limits evaporation, any practical use on our boats?
Brandon,

The heated exhaust pressure to the tank evaporates fuel, so the car guys use them for that reason so they get more laps out of a tank of fuel. The boat guys like them because high nitro cold fuel burns better than warm fuel, so it cools the exhaust pressure to tank to help keep from heating the fuel. They work!!!!

I just don't understand how colder fuel helps performance? Colder fuel is thicker (% of oil)and I would think warmer fuel flows and atomizes better, and is easier to ignite. Other than a slower burn which might retard timing I see no advantage. Now colder air will allow more volume to enter the system but our air fuel ratio is much lower than a gasoline engine, so cold air induction not as large a factor.

Mic

O K I have to ask , How can a fuel filter change the temp of fuel, How does it take the heat out of the exhaust so that it does not

reach the fuel tank??? just asking>>>>

Walt Barney

It has fins...so it is a kind of heat sink.

I dont see them much in offroad...but I guess onroad where the airflow is very high it could work/help.

It is about cooling the exhaust gasses so they cannot overheat the fuel. It goes between pipe and tank and has no filter as such.

I agree with Ron, this type of in line filter works great, has a very fine screen mesh to keep out the trash, from the engine, I bought mine 12 years ago, mine is in a brass case, was labled as an airplane filter'

JM2CW

dick

O K I have to ask , How can a fuel filter change the temp of fuel, How does it take the heat out of the exhaust so that it does not

reach the fuel tank??? just asking>>>>

Walt Barney
Walt,

The pic I posted above shows two items. One is the fuel filter, the other one is the exhaust gas cooler to help keep the exhaust gas from heating the fuel.

I just don't understand how colder fuel helps performance? Colder fuel is thicker (% of oil)and I would think warmer fuel flows and atomizes better, and is easier to ignite. Other than a slower burn which might retard timing I see no advantage. Now colder air will allow more volume to enter the system but our air fuel ratio is much lower than a gasoline engine, so cold air induction not as large a factor.

Mic
Mic,

There are several theories surrounding cool nitro fuel and its performance/efficency boost capabilities. I have known so e racers in tbe past take this tbeory even further by keeping their fuel in coolers until right before their heat, when they would fuel their tanks. This exhaust cooler was originally designed for off road cars to stretch out fuel efficency by limiting evaporation. Many high nitro racers with cool fuel theories use them for a different reason.

Mic
Mic,

There are several theories surrounding cool nitro fuel and its performance/efficency boost capabilities. I have known so e racers in tbe past take this tbeory even further by keeping their fuel in coolers until right before their heat, when they would fuel their tanks. This exhaust cooler was originally designed for off road cars to stretch out fuel efficency by limiting evaporation. Many high nitro racers with cool fuel theories use them for a different reason.
hey ron,also have used them on my On-Road cars and have found no difference in performance or fuel mileage. but there is some benefit to having the fuel cool before the race.

never ran a filter on any boat eng.

only one on the filler line after the pump.

I guess I'm just lucky never had a problem but one time.

found some kinda crap in the needle. was a new tank and found out after talking with some one it was cotton.

Thy use cotton to blow threw the brass tubes at the factory to clean them.

Well this one had some left in it.

So the story goes blow all your brass tubes the first time you use them.

Back