WILD THING MONO by John Finch - Construction Article -

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shane Bastick

Hi there

Does anyone have a Copy of the Radio Control Boat Modeler Magazine's "construction article" on the Wild Thing mono hull by John Finch, If anyone has a copy that they could e-mail, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have the plans and wont have any trouble building the hull, but the article had extra ref info on setup and engine placement etc

thanks

Shane

No offence intended to Mr. Finch, I would recommend using either 1/16, 3/32 or 1/8 ply instead of the balsa for the bulkheads. My reasoning being:

1) It would give improved strength, balsa can deform, crack or totally fail under stress unless reinforced

2) Balsa, unless properly sealed, can absorb water like a sponge

3) it would leave a bit more room in the hull for floatation, fuel or radio gear

If you plan on using electric power, balsa can be used as there isn't the engine induced vibration that can damage the strructure

HJ, your just tooo much, with your vast building,racing, hands on, and I heard it from the guy experience..............
Yeah, what does Finch know anyways, it's not like he's been doing this for 40 something years....... oh wait he has. But then again all that wealth of knowledge from "under construction" heavily modified Dumas kits certainly trumps what John knows right?? LMAO!!
Shane if you would like to contact John directly about his design shoot me a p/m and I'll give you his e-mail. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
THERE IS A GOD! thank you for this blessing.

BUILD BOATS THE "s" means PLURAL!

Johns on right NOW! pm him

Last edited:
You can use plywood if you like. The balsa makes it easier to build the boat upside down on a table top, is light, and does not creat issues if sealed with epoxy. You can sheet it with 1/64 ply if you like to get a hard finish. My boat is still operational with no issues. In fact, even though it was designed for a .21, I used it to break the

impba 1/4 mile oval record. That put the boat through some extra ordinary work outs at 65 mph! It took the stress during the process and still looks great with no cracks, warps, or other issues. I don't suggest a 45 engine in the boat, but for record trials we do those sort of things. Been raced a bunch of times and still as sturdy as ever. You can build the inside of the boat any way you like. That is what is great about a scratch built boat. Put your own ideas to work. If you don't want to take the risk.......build it like I did and it will last a very long time and be easy to build. Have fun with it Shane!

Ive always been curious about this boat in a 40 inch range as a Q mono FE never could find any plans :( .

Dang Johns gone already :eek: !!!!!!!

Hugh

Last edited:
You can use plywood if you like. The balsa makes it easier to build the boat upside down on a table top, is light, and does not creat issues if sealed with epoxy. You can sheet it with 1/64 ply if you like to get a hard finish. My boat is still operational with no issues. In fact, even though it was designed for a .21, I used it to break the

impba 1/4 mile oval record. That put the boat through some extra ordinary work outs at 65 mph! It took the stress during the process and still looks great with no cracks, warps, or other issues. I don't suggest a 45 engine in the boat, but for record trials we do those sort of things. Been raced a bunch of times and still as sturdy as ever. You can build the inside of the boat any way you like. That is what is great about a scratch built boat. Put your own ideas to work. If you don't want to take the risk.......build it like I did and it will last a very long time and be easy to build. Have fun with it Shane!
Mr James Beasley has one of those of your boats Mr fintch and its a rocket with a Novarossi 21

Mr James Beasley has one of those of your boats Mr fintch and its a rocket with a Novarossi 21
Yup, J, I built that boat exactly as the professor designed it. Sold it to James and if I'm not mistaken he won District championship in that class the first year he raced it. B) Don't try to reinvent the wheel, HJ. ;)

Yup, J, I built that boat exactly as the professor designed it. Sold it to James and if I'm not mistaken he won District championship in that class the first year he raced it. B) Don't try to reinvent the wheel, HJ. ;)
yup james did win the district 12 class and in the ODMBA series also i came second to him in our club points ;-)

I think John said it just right anyone is free to try there ideas in materials in there boat - the point of scracthbuilding, but what he has done here works just fine. I encourage HJ to try his method show us and run it. Would make for a nice build thread. The mods to his dumas were really good ones looking back on my dumas pak build.

Thanks to everyone, and to John Finch the designer, I will be building exactly to the plans, a 32 version with a 21 NOVA and a 38 inch version with a 45 CMB. A fantastic and easy to build mono.

Hi John,

will let you know how the 38 inch hull works, it should be fine, I have only just started the build, cant wait to finish it

Latest posts

Back